A Napless day turns into some sweet Mommy time!

J and I have been enjoying going through our old pictures with Morgan–talking about his “baby time” and how much we treasured those first months as a family.  It hurts to know that we will never have memories of his 1st ten months without us. With a baby on the way–I worry about explaining the lack of “baby Morgan” pictures and milestones from that precious time before he came to us.

Yesterday, Morgan did not take a nap at school and threw a huge tantrum before we even made it out the door to the car in the afternoon. Our daycare director is very kind and carried him to the car for me since I am waddling more than walking these days and it is nearly impossible to carry a writhing toddler right now! He loves “Ms. Nena” and snuggled against her–feeling special that the director of the school was showing him some prime attention.

We sang “I like to Move it Move it” from the Madagascar sound track on the way home–I crack up watching him dance and sing in the rearview mirror.  Some days we play it 3-4 times in a row but I tolerate it because he loves it. He’s so cute saying ” I like to Party Party!!”

When we got home, I noticed that Morgan had been touching the wheels of the mom-mobile again and then rubbed brake dust on his face and hands. I decided that we needed a “swim” in mommy’s tub–which is a rare treat and Morgan looks forward to it. J and I have a jacuzzi tub in our masterbath that is big enough for Morgan to think he’s swimming 🙂

After 30 minutes of splashing in aveeno baby bath–which is kind to the eczema! He was in a happy mood and readily admitted “Morgan tired, Mommy”. I helped him grab his blankets (which have multiplied to include his crib comforter in addition to his two security blankets that he has always toted around) and we snuggled on the couch and watched Toy Story.  J was working late and I decided that Morgan could use all of the mommy time he could get that evening.

I made dinner early, anticipating more toddler madness. We had a Morgan friendly dinner of cheeseburger macaroni, green peas, and vanilla pudding. After that, I asked if he would like to “rock” in his green chair–which has also been moved to my room in anticipation of  baby Elmo.  Again, I felt a little pang of guilt a the many changes coming his way.

We spent nearly an hour in the rocking chair. My baby snuggled against me with his pillow and three blankets and drifted in and out of a light sleep. I would finish singing a song and he would whisper “Do More, Mama”.  We sing our own lullaby to the tune of Frere Jacque that is simply “Mommy loves Morgan, mommy loves Morgan–yes she does, yes she does. Mommy loves Morgan, Mommy loves Morgan–yes she does.”  I love it that my nearly 3 year old allowed this moment!

I put him on my bed while I took my bath and put on pajamas–but he didn’t fall asleep because Claire was jealous and hopping up and down on the floor next to the bed demanding to be lifted up!  I heard “No bother me Claire! Go Away!” and smiled.

So we switched Morgan to his big boy bed and read a few books–everything he chose this evening had “I love you” in the title. I read “I love you no matter what” 2x in a row per his request and then he was ready to kiss me goodnight.

For the first time in nearly 2 weeks, my little bug slept soundly.  I guess we all need a bit of reassurance at times.



Filed under Attachment, International Adoption, pregnancy

3 responses to “A Napless day turns into some sweet Mommy time!

  1. so sweet… made me tear up.

  2. Leigh Hornbeck

    Very nice Jen.

  3. Great post! He’s cute.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s