Last night, I pulled out my copy of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison and after several modifications, prepared some easy mushroom and goat cheese tarts using her mushroom galette and mushroom turnover recipes as a jumping off point. It’s an extremely loose interpretation of the original recipe. I tend to use my cookbooks as a source of inspiration rather than to follow recipes to the letter.
I had a package of soft goat cheese in the fridge that needed to be used and did not have time to prepare her dough from scratch while chasing two kids, so a new variation was born out of purchased pastry crust and a few other minor changes. The results? Incredible.
This recipe is my first lacto ovo vegetarian meal for meatless Monday–which I feel a tad guilty about…but it was VERY popular with Jeremy and that makes thrills me after he was game enough to eat last week’s vegan cutlets. Morgan flat out refused to eat dinner after having a bowl of mac and cheese an hour before everything was ready. He did perk up for what was likely our last strawberry shortcake this summer.
Menu: Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tarts, Steamed asparagus with simple lemon vinaigrette, strawberry shortcake
Recipe: Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tarts (serves 4-6 generously)
- frozen puff pastry crust (1pkg) thawed
- 2 Eight oz packages mushrooms (I used baby bellas, but I think any mushroom you like would be fine here)
- 1/4c finely chopped onion
- 1/4 c minced fresh parsley
- 2 Tbs chives, chopped
- 1 clove garlic–pressed or minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs canola or olive oil divided
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2/3 c panko or fresh bread crumbs
- 4 oz soft goat cheese (Chevre)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lay puff pastry out on cookie sheet
- rinse and chop 1 package of mushrooms
- Rinse and slice second package of mushrooms
- place 1 Tbs oil in large skillet and heat on med high. Add onions add chopped mushrooms and cook 5 minutes until mushrooms release their juices. Toss in garlic and cook until mixtures is dry. Stir in herbs and season with salt and pepper. Remove to large bowl.
- Using the same skillet, heat the remaining oil and saute the sliced mushrooms until browned. Add to large bowl and mix with bread crumbs, all but 1 TBS of the egg, and the goat cheese. Allow to cool.
- Place half of mixture on each sheet of thawed pastry dough and spread out –leaving 1/2 ” border. Fold pastry in half and press edges with fork. Brush remaining tablespoon of egg on top of pastry halves and bake 15-20 minutes until pastry crust is browned slightly and flakes along edges.
To serve: cut each pastry into 2 or 3 portions.